Depression is a common problem these days. According to the reports, more than 70% people across the world suffer from different types of depression. More interestingly, a lot of people even do not know that they are suffering from depression. So, at this time of the world, we need to know the term depression with more perfection. It is better to keep away the myths and understand the facts regarding depression. So, the question is – what is depression? To define depression in simple words, it can be said that this is a basically a mental health problem that occurs due to various conditions, under various circumstances.
What is Depression?
Different medical experts define depression in different manner. It is hard to give a concrete definition of depression. It can generally be identified as a mental disorder or mental disturbance that can be experienced on short term or long term basis. As it is a mental disorder, there is no reason to consider it as lesser harmful than any other physical disorders. In fact, depression can lead to various critical physical damages. For example, a depressed person experiences quick mood swings. Due to this, sometimes they can attempt suicide or hurting themselves in some ways. Depression also leaves a lot of physical problems, like heart disorders, brain diseases, hormonal imbalances, etc. In the following section of this article, we shall discuss some of the common causes of depression:
Various Causes of Depression
In our modern as well as contemporary society, talking about depression is a necessary thing. People need to understand the term depression more precisely. Optimal awareness amongst the people can solve this disease with perfection. To know depression in better manner, let us discuss salient casus behind this mental imbalance:
- Mental Stress: Too much mental stress leads to depression of different kinds. People acquire mental stress due to various reasons from various sources. For example, too much worried about something or hypertension is a common cause behind mental stress. Mental stress can also be caused by over workload. This is why people working in corporate sectors are mostly vulnerable to mental stresses. Their mental stress leads to depression in most of the cases.
- Consumption of Alcohol or Chain Smoking: If you are a heavy alcohol consumer or a chain smoker, depression can occur to you very commonly. Regular alcohol consumption should be restricted into occasional habit. Moreover, when you feel sad, try doing something productive rather consuming alcohol or indulge in smoking.
- Failure in Relationship: Failure in relationship is often found to be a common cause behind depression. This type of depression results into dreadful consequences. If you are suffering from such depression situations, it is better to consult an experienced psychologist.
- Pressure of Studies on Kids: Depression amongst kids is common and mostly that is caused by pressure of studies. Often parents want to make their kids best in all aspects. Failing to stand out with such immense pressure of expectations, depression for kids takes place.
Common Symptoms of Depression
To know what is depression, it is equally important to know the symptoms of depression. Some of the common symptoms are:
- Feeling sad often or constantly
- Feeling tremendous mental pressure
- Feeling low
- Quick mood swing
- Over attracted towards alcohol or cigarettes
- Feeling guilty
Depression can lead to many physical as well as mental challenges. So, it is important to consult a psychologist as soon as possible. If you suspect depression is creeping in slowly in your mind, you should consult psychologists for quick medical solutions and mental counseling. Before consulting a psychologist, know his or her skills, specialization and certifications.